Dec 21, 2020

How to apply for the BC Recovery Benefit

NOTE: You have until June 30th 2021 to apply

      Applying ONLINE is the fastest way to submit your request and receive the benefit ---> External link opens in new tab or window

What information you must have to apply:
  • your social insurance number (SIN)
  • your B.C. driver's license on hand (if you have one)
  • your bank's direct deposit details
  • your most recent notice of assessment or reassessment for the 2019 tax year (see line 23600 for NET INCOME)

You may be asked for further identification documents if you moved to B.C. after December 31, 2019

December 15, 2020

Small Business Owners - CEBA loans are still available, and have expanded the loan amount - see the details below (pulled from CRA website --> External link opens in new tab or window

The original $40,000 loan amount has been expanded to add another $20,000 (for a total up to $60,000 available), with an application deadline of March 31, 2020.

  • How can I apply for the $20,000 expansion?

Please contact the financial institution that provided you with your original CEBA loan to apply for the $20,000 expansion.

  • If my financial institution is not yet offering the $20,000 expansion, can I apply for it elsewhere?
No, you must apply for the $20,000 expansion at the financial institution that provided you with your original CEBA loan.

  • Do I need to submit a new application for the $20,000 expansion?
Yes, you will need to submit a new application and attestation to the financial institution that provided you with your original CEBA loan.

You will not need to resubmit your original application, or re-upload expense documents.

Are you working from home during COVID 19 pandemic?

The CRA is allowing a NEW FLAT RATE deduction of up to $400 to those individuals working from home as required by their employers. To be eligible you must meet all of the criteria:

  • you worked more than 50% of your hours at home for at least a 4 week period ($2 per day)
  • only for home office expenses are deductible

You do not have to: calculate the size of your work space, keep supporting documents or get Form T2200 completed and signed by your employer.

Learn more about the simplified process here --> External link opens in new tab or windowGovernment of Canada of News Release

December 14, 2020

US Tax Clients - New rules regarding Cash Donations for 2020 tax year

Following tax law changes, cash donations of up to $300 made this year by December 31, 2020 are now deductible without having to itemize when people file their taxes in 2021.

IRS Newsroom Notification --> External link opens in new tab or windowIRS Tax Tip 2020-170 

The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act includes several temporary tax law changes to help charities. This includes the special $300 deduction designed especially for people who choose to take the standard deduction, rather than itemizing their deductions.

This change allows individual taxpayers to claim a deduction of up to $300 for cash donations made to charity during 2020. This deduction lowers both adjusted gross income and taxable income – translating into tax savings for those making donations to qualifying tax-exempt organizations.

Are you wondering about the status of your US TAX refund?

Use this link from the website - you will need your SSN, exact Tax Refund $ amount, and filing status --> External link opens in new tab or windowUS Tax Refund STATUS

Mar 17, 2020

COVID -19 Update

We know many of our clients are feeling uncertain about leaving their homes during this time - therefore we have made some modifications to how we are conducting our business operations in the short-term.

At this time, we are working to create a secure online portal for our clients, which they can use to upload their documents from their computers to streamline the process.

We are encouraging clients to do a quick drop off with their paperwork, if you are healthy to do so. If any appointment is required, it can be held via the telephone, or if an in-person appointment is necessary we will take the precautions to ensure everyone's health.

Feb 28, 2020

Do you have unclaimed payments on your CRA account?

Global NewsExternal link opens in new tab or window recently reported about a new feature on the CRA website under your My Account profile - where any unclaimed cheques you are owed will be listed, which you can claim.  Most of us probably won't see any unclaimed amounts listed, but if you moved and did not notify the CRA, for example, you may have an unclaimed amount.

If you have online access to your My Account on the CRA website, once you've signed in, you will be presented with the Overview page. On this page, you will see Uncashed Cheques under the Related Items section on the right-hand side of the page.  Simply click the link to view any outstanding payments.

Note that any outstanding amounts you owe to CRA will be deducted prior to them issuing any funds outstanding.

Feb 21, 2020

CRA will open their systems to Efile taxes on Feb 24, 2020.

Jan 17, 2020

This year the federal government has changed the TD1 form basic personal exemption amount to be based on a sliding income scale basis.

What is the TD1 form?

This is the form you complete or update under these common circumstances - when you have a new employer, want to change the amount of your exemption or want to increase the amount of tax deducted by your employer.

What does this mean for me?

If you have or expect your 2020 income to be :

  • $150, 473 or less during the year, you enter $13,229 on line 1

  • $150,474 to $214,368
  • you can claim a partial credit using the TD1-WS Worksheet to determine your credit amount for line 1
  • you can claim the flat rate of $12,298 if you do not want to calculate a partial credit for line 1

  • $214,369 or more, enter $12,298 on line 1

You can find the forms and worksheets here --> External link opens in new tab or windowCRA WEBSITE

Update on this topic, Jan 24, 2020 from Financial Post --> External link opens in new tab or windowhere 

 Jan 15, 2020

 Income Tax Filing Deadlines & Benefit Payment Dates

 All dates are for the current tax year unless specified otherwise.


 Canada Child Benefit:

  • January 20, 2020
  • February 20, 2020
  • March 20, 2020
  • April 20, 2020
  • May 20, 2020
  • June 19, 2020

  • July 20, 2020
  • August 20, 2020
  • September 18, 2020
  • October 20, 2020
  • November 20, 2019 & 2020
  • December 13, 2019 & December 11, 2020

 Working Income Tax Benefit payments:

  • April 5
  • July 5
  • October 5
  • January 5

 Filing deadlines:

  • April 30 (most filers)
  • June 15 (self-employed filers and their spouses or common-law partners)
  • June 30 (TFSA return)

 GST/HST credit payments:

  • January 5
  • April 5
  • July 5
  • October 5

 Installment payments due:

  • March 15
  • June 15
  • September 15
  • December 15
  • December 31 (farmers and fishers pay their yearly installment payment)

 RRSP contribution deadline:

  • March 2

Dec 18, 2019


Donating to charities is a worthy endeavor, but if you want to claim donations on your tax return, be sure of these key points before handing over any cash.

    • The deadline for 2019 receipts is Dec 31, 2019
    • In order to claim a donation, you are required to submit a valid receipt (must be registered with CRA)
    • Research the charity External link opens in new tab or windowhere - to ensure it is registered with the CRA
    • Generally, tax Credits for donations on the federal return is 15% for the first $200 of annual charitable donations.but jumps to 29% for combined donations of more than $200 in total
    • Tax credits can be applied for donations from RRIFs, RRSP's, Donations in Kind, and Donor Advised Funds - read on External link opens in new tab or windowhere for more info

Read more at the Business Financial Post --> External link opens in new tab or windowMake sure your charity of choice has charitable status before making a donation

Oct 29, 2019

Withdrawals from RRSP/RRIF 

October 24, 2019

Donations at the Till - these are NOT tax deductible.  

Oct 19, 2019


Congratulations Jennifer on your graduation!

Sept 23, 2019


Welcome to the team Tamara! We are so happy to have you here at Wish Kwok & Associates!

Sept 20, 2019

EI Premiums are set to decline, according to the CEIC - this is good news for business owners :)

Read more about this recent announcement on

External link opens in new tab or window…/ei-premiums-decline-again-for-2020/

July 30, 2019

identity theft

All Info can be found on:

External link opens in new tab or window


July 29, 2019

Protect Yourself Against Fraud

Do you know how to recognize a scam? Here are some tips on how to tell it is NOT the CRA contacting you.

  • They will state that your personal information is needed to receive a refund or benefit payment.
  • They will use coercive or threatening language to scare individuals into paying fictitious debt to the CRA.
  • Some may urge individuals to visit a fake CRA website where the taxpayer is then asked to verify by entering personal information.



  • verify your identity by asking for personal information such as your full name, date of birth, address and account, or social insurance number
  • ask for details about your account, in the case of a business enquiry
  • call you to begin an audit process


  • ask for information about your passport, health card, or driver's license
  • demand immediate payment by Interac e-transfer, bitcoin, prepaid credit cards or gift cards from retailers such as iTunes, Amazon, or others
  • use aggressive language or threaten you with arrest or sending the police
  • leave voicemails that are threatening or give personal or financial information


  • notify you by email when a new message or a document, such as a notice of assessment or reassessment, is available for you to view in secure CRA portals such as My Account, My Business Account, or Represent a Client
  • email you a link to a CRA webpage, form, or publication that you ask for during a telephone call or a meeting with an agent (this is the only case where the CRA will send an email containing links)


  • give or ask for personal or financial information by email and ask you to click on a link
  • email you a link asking you to fill in an online form with personal or financial details
  • send you an email with a link to your refund
  • demand immediate payment by Interac e-transfer, bitcoin, prepaid credit cards or gift cards from retailers such as iTunes, Amazon, or others
  • threaten you with arrest or a prison sentence

Fraud by MAIL - THE CRA MAY:

  • ask for financial information such as the name of your bank and its location
  • send you a notice of assessment or reassessment
  • ask you to pay an amount you owe through any of the CRA's payment options
  • take legal action to recover the money you owe, if you refuse to pay your debt
  • write to you to begin an audit process


  • set up a meeting with you in a public place to take a payment
  • demand immediate payment by Interac e-transfer, bitcoin, prepaid credit cards or gift cards from retailers such as iTunes, Amazon, or others
  • threaten you with arrest or a prison sentence

The CRA never uses text messages or instant messaging such as Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp to communicate with taxpayers under any circumstance. If a taxpayer receives text or instant messages claiming to be from the CRA, they are scams!

All info can be found on: External link opens in new tab or window